Pre-Owned Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About Pre-Owned Harley Motorcycles
As a well-respected used Harley-Davidson® dealer near Salisbury, MD Rommel Harley-Davidson® Delmarva is here to answer your questions. Whether you’re an inexperienced or seasoned rider, we understand that buying a motorcycle is a huge investment. Purchasing a pre-owned Harley-Davidson® usually comes with more questions than buying a new one, as you have to consider what condition the bike’s in and how much wear-and-tear it’s seen over the years. Below, you’ll find many of our frequently asked questions. If you’re shopping around for a used Harley and have other questions not listed here, we welcome you to call us and discuss the details with a member of our friendly staff!
Why should I buy a pre-owned Harley-Davidson® motorcycle?
This is going to vary from person to person, but generally speaking, many riders prefer to buy a pre-owned motorcycle because of the savings on the price tag. It’s also easier to make customizations with aftermarket parts, while others covet classic models because of their sleek design. Whatever your reason, come see us for one of the best selections of pre-owned Harley-Davidson® motorcycles near Salisbury, MD. Harley-Davidson® is a brand you can trust for its durability and the relative ease of locating parts for future maintenance, especially when you rely on our factory-trained technicians in our service department!
This is my first time buying a used motorcycle. Do you have any tips?
Here are a few general tips about buying a used motorcycle from our experts:
- Examine It Cold – You can often tell more about a bike’s condition when it’s cold than you can during the test drive. If the bike has issues starting, that’s generally not a good sign!
- Look Past the Odometer – While mileage is of concern when purchasing a used motorcycle, it’s not the only factor to take into consideration. You should be prepared to inspect its general appearance, frame, exhaust, engine, clutch, fuel tank, suspension, brakes, tires, and even its oil for signs of rust or corrosion or previous repair work.
- Go to a Reputable Dealership – While you may find what appears to be a better deal listed on Craig’s List, is it really a better deal if you end up needing more repair work done on your bike? Our Harley-Davidson® dealership is well-trusted and respected within our community.
- Always Check the VIN – Your motorcycle’s vehicle identification number (VIN) is a useful source of information about its overall condition and history.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Negotiate – Ask yourself how much you’re willing to pay for the used motorcycle in question, weighing this against how much it’s worth. Don’t be afraid to negotiate for a lower selling price. You’ll never know until you ask!
Where is a motorcycle’s VIN located?
Your motorcycle’s VIN is typically found either below the handlebars along its steering neck or on the bottom close to its cylinders. A VIN is a combination of 17 numbers and letters used to look up information about the motorcycle’s history and condition. When buying a pre-owned Harley-Davidson®, it’s customary to check the VIN to see if it’s been in any severe accidents or has had any major work done on it. You should also be able to see when the last inspection was completed. This info could help you have a bargaining chip to get the final sales price reduced.
What if my motorcycle’s VIN is less than 17 characters?
This isn’t uncommon when purchasing a pre-owned Harley-Davidson®. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) didn’t require 17-digit vehicle identification numbers until 1981, so if your motorcycle predates 1981, it will likely have fewer characters.
What do I do if it says the VIN that I entered is incorrect?
First, we recommend that you doublecheck what you typed carefully. It’s worth noting that your VIN will never have the letters I, Q, or O in it so they can’t be confused with the numbers 1 and 0. Your motorcycle could be so outdated that it doesn’t have a VIN, although this isn’t usually the case. It’s more likely that it’s outside your data provider’s network or has multiple models available. You could do a Google search or check the Harley-Davidson® website to be sure. If the VIN is wrong, you’ll need to contact Harley-Davidson® to get it corrected.
Do you offer financing at your Harley-Davidson® dealership?
Yes, Rommel Harley-Davidson® Delmarva offers financing options with simple monthly payments. Don’t wait another minute to become a proud Harley-Davidson® owner. Contact us to begin discussing financing a pre-owned Harley-Davidson® in Salisbury, MD area today!